DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> Who Killed Theresa?

Wednesday, April 06, 2005

Words, words, words...

An old girlfriend of my brother's (actually, the girl he was dating while attending Champlain College) recently emailed me and asked, what am I reading?)

My response:

What am I reading?

First understand that I am currently applying to graduate school so what’s preoccupying most of my time is Barron’s How to prepare for the GRE Test. Also I’m taking a course at NC State University so most of my reading revolves around Public Information Technology / Policy and Management Issues and Jane Fountain’s Building The Virtual State (all very exciting, I know, but you asked).

What am I reading? Currently I have several on the go. Stiff, The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers by Mary Roach (your husband should enjoy that one), Robert Ressler’s Whoever Fights Monsters (serial killers and the FBI), James Ellroy’s Destination: Morgue! (Because Stephanie is one of the finest essay’s ever written about the pursuit of a cold case.

Hey! What-the-hell did you think I’d be reading, Jonathan Livingston Seagull?.

Books I should be reading? Both Life of Pi and The Kite Runner are at my bedside, but I have yet to crack them. Malcolm Gladwell’s Blink. I’m three chapters into Blink, not because of cultural faddism, but because I happened to have gone to college with Malcolm.

A book I can’t wait to read… Peter Bernstein’s Wedding of the Waters about the completion of the Erie Canal (mainly because my father’s an engineer and I maintain a fascination with public/private partnership mega-projects).

Other books… well, Saul Bellow just died (I never knew he was born Canadian) so I feel I should read Herzog or Mr. Sammler’s Planet. There are some books of Mordechai Richler’s that I still want to read (again). I think Toronto law professor, Alan Young’s Justice Defiled: Perverts, Potheads, Serial Killers and Lawyers is one of the funniest dissections of the Canadian legal system. What else…

Children’s books: I love William Steig (especially the Dr. DeSoto books). Tomie dePaola is wonderful. My favorite Dr Seuss is One Fish Two Fish.

I think that’s about it.

Now… I’m trying to put together a Summer reading list, so…

What do you like?

So, people, what are you reading?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

|