DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> Who Killed Theresa?: Something New

Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Something New

Into 2009... and let me tell you my new favorite band:


Parts & Labor

God do I love the incessant drone of this Brooklyn based trio...



...now made quartet by the addition of guitarist Sarah Lipstate:



My introduction was their first release, Mapmaker, but it's their new release, Receivers with the relentless, Ramonesesque Nowheres Nigh that is getting all the attention:



There are commercial elements here of New Order, REM, Green Day (read: The Who), with anthemesque overtones of early eighties Big Country, all put together in the most uncommercial fashion.  And it's hard not to like a drummer who puts Jimmy Chamberlain on the run with some simple paradiddle rhythms pounded to perfection:




Yes, I was introduced to them by Sound Opinions, and yes that leaves me behind the curve, but hey!... I've got children listening to Pink and Linkin Park: it's hard to keep up. 

But when I get it right I get it right.

1 Comments:

At 8:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm...not so sure about that incessant drone, John. Sounds kinda like synthesized bagpipes...but, hey, if it works for ya...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

|