DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> Who Killed Theresa?: Justice Week?

Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Justice Week?


WUNC's The State Of Things this week has called its programming "Criminal Justice Week". Five one-hour programs, and not one focusing on crime victims. I brought this to host, Frank Stasio's attention and here is his response:

"Criminal justice systems that function poorly make victims of us all. Tomorrow we'll talk about the failure of the prison system to prepare offenders for their return to society. Recidivism rates are high. They victimized us once. Returned unprepared, they'll do it again. We deserve better better protection, don't you think?"

And here is my response to Frank:

"Sorry Frank, but that doesn't answer the question. That's a dance and you know it. I am the brother of a murder victim, and the FIRST graduate in Criminal Justice from NC State's program. So you can't bullshit me. I know all the angles, and the fact is that the first victims are the innocents that didn't ask for this fate. I am disappointed that you have not profiled victims in such an important feature, and I will vocalize it."

3 Comments:

At 11:33 PM, Blogger John Allore said...

Frank Follow-Up: "No, I am not a fanatic... I see the need for profiling the need for offender services as you did on Monday, but there must be balance. To completely ignore the place of victims in the criminal justice system - the nexus of the entire process - is unconscionable."

 
At 12:22 AM, Blogger Bill Widman said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 9:31 AM, Blogger Bill Widman said...

Sorry, that was me up there.
After leaving a comment, and reading the post again, I thought for sure I must have misunderstood something. (I better not say that.)

NPR is a good radio station.
They wouldn't put some clown on the air who didn't know what he was talking about, would they?

Well damn! They did!

Society is the victim? It would make more sense to say society is the victim of the government instead of crime. Victims of crime are individuals and their families. Doesn't everyone know that?

Get a clue, Frank!
To say this guy is missing the point would be an understatement.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

|