DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> Who Killed Theresa?

Thursday, April 05, 2007

Hejira

I just talked to my brother, who among many things is one of the most beautiful things on this earth. We talked about T, and music (his music), and movies (Good Cop, Bad Cop and how I should see it), and plans for Easter weekend (I'm taking the family to the Durham Bulls tomorrow night - lots o' fireworks).

On the way in to work this morning I listened to Joni Mitchell's Hejira. Do you know this album? 1976... big departure for Joni... heavy jazz influence.

I can listen to it 5 times for 5 different reasons:

1. Joni's chord progressions

2. Larry Carlton's guitar work (the reason many place this on their dessert island pics)

3. Neil Young: And you thought he couldn't play harmonica

4. Jaco Pastorius: actually this is a reason for BUYING the CD

5. The lyrics :

I'm porous with travel fever
But you know I'm so glad to be on my own
Still somehow the slightest touch of a stranger
Can set up trembling in my bones

I would like to imagine that Theresa introduced me to Joni Mitchell. But that's not true. In fact, when Patricia Pearson was writing her Post articles she imagined Theresa listening to Joni Mitchell, and I had to ask her to change it to Cat Stevens or something. True, we were aware of Joni: I remember as kids we would hold hands and twirl round to Circle Game, but this wasn't Theresa's music.

Actually, Hejira was introduced to me by Candace, an accountant I worked with at a winery in California. We had the most civilized way of reconciling the books. We would go through the numbers at the end of the month to the music of Joni and Van Morrison and Nina Simone.

Long May You Run

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

|