DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> Who Killed Theresa?

Tuesday, February 05, 2008

But It's My Lucky Hat

Recall: I had 6 comprehensive exams over 2 days. That meant 4 hours on a Friday for:

Policy Analysis

Management Systems

Organizational Behavior

And 4 hours the next day (Saturday) on:

Research Methods

Budgeting

Ethics

I haven't said much since I wrote them (I didn't want to jinx anything). I passed them all. Which is great given 20 - 25% fail at least one of them.

What a friggin' hassle that was! I studied my ass off and still felt I only knew about 5 things: if I could allow my mind to operate like a Chinese box I might be able to expand on those 5 things.

Day two was a nightmare, people were giggling mid-exam without provocation. I had to do a mental verta-hold on my retina to keep from going brain dead. By the 6th hour I was in a crisis; statistics, and no room for bullshit - you either know it or you don't. My answers became terse to the point of haiku. They were riddles really... I dare you to question my competence. What a tightrope... any temptation to expand on the rational thought process would surely be callout for the malarkey it was, and destine you for certain failure.




So how'd I get through it? Two toques. The one on the left for Friday, the one on the right for Saturday.

Something on my noggin to remind me why I was there.

3 Comments:

At 9:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations John!

(How exactly does one do a "mental verta-hold on the retina"? Sounds like a useful technique that I could use to stay awake during meetings.) LOL

 
At 2:03 PM, Blogger Shinseiko said...

I had beef jerky and altoids when I took comps... Beef to boost brain power, and strong peppermint to augment attention!

 
At 4:09 AM, Blogger Bill Widman said...

Way to go, John!
I'm sure you'll be happy as all get out when all this crap is behind you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

|