DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> Who Killed Theresa?

Monday, January 07, 2008

What was the motive?

One more outstanding question has been rattling in my brain for quite some time. Why was Theresa murdered?

A number of possible motives have been suggested—the most common ones being sexual assault and drugs. But are we limiting the investigation by not considering other possible motives?

If we can narrow down the motive, it might help us eliminate possible suspects or add new ones to the list.

So what are the usual motives for murder? (And which of them might apply in Theresa’s case?) The following book excerpts provide these insights:

"Motive for murder can be divided into seven specific groups: 1) Profit; 2) Elimination; 3) Revenge; 4) Jealousy; 5) Conviction; 6) Sadism; 7) Sex....Removal of the person who happens to be 'in the way' is the determining factor in a great number of murders. In the true elimination murder the continued existence of the victim is inconvenient or dangerous to the killer."
-
The Detection of Murder - A Handbook for Police Officers, Detectives, Coroners, Judges and Attorneys, by Paul B. Weston and William F. Kessler

“For example, an investigation of the homicide of a known narcotics trafficker that results from a drug deal gone awry will take a completely different dynamic from that resulting from a domestic dispute between a husband and wife.”
- Evidence Collection by Joseph J. Vince and William E. Sherlock

“There are certain types of homicide where the motive for the act is not always apparent or is truly unknown. This is more characteristic of homicide incidents that have occurred simply because of some altercation over a trivial matter, or some homicides that involve children…”
- The Cambridge Handbook of Australian Criminology, by Adam Graycar and Peter N. Grabosky

In my opinion, any of the following could be realistic motives for murder in Theresa’s case:

Sexual assault (Theresa was found semi-nude but the coroner found no apparent signs of trauma. There was some bruising seen under her armpits prior to the autopsy. Could that have been due to the force applied when dragging her to final resting place? Can bruising happen after death?)

Profit/robbery (Theresa’s wallet was found without any money in it. As I mentioned before, I wonder if anyone checked her banking activity leading up to the day she was murdered. Can that be done now?)

Drugs/concealment of another crime (Maybe she saw something…)

Relationship (Was there someone who was romantically interested in Theresa and felt “rebuffed” by her…resulting in a “if I can’t have her, then nobody will” attitude?)

Another question to ask is: What kind of person would benefit from Theresa’s death?

====
Maritime Missy

9 Comments:

At 8:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think that Theresa's killer probably did not set out to kill her but that, as the situation escalated out of his control, he found himself reacting to a very uncooperative captive. He probably underestimated Theresa's strength and a sexual assault turned deadly. I do believe it was a sex crime because of the way that Theresa's body was found but also because of my personal experience.

Anon

 
At 11:26 PM, Blogger Bill Widman said...

I think you're right on this one, Anon. There have been many cases of when an attacker (such as a mugger or a rapist) thought he had chosen an easy target, then found out he was wrong. It seems to fit Theresa's personality (from what I've read) that she would put up a hell of a fight.
I guess he wasn't into necrophilia, so he never finished what he started out to do.

By the way, Anon, I never told you yet that I have taken your advice and contacted Missing Pieces, and have been exchanging messages with Todd Matthews. Thank you for pointing me in that direction.

 
At 12:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bill, you are VERY welcome, and it will be an honour to type up Debbie's story for Missing Pieces.

Actually, I was about to write to you again on this subject. It's a wonderful service that Todd is providing and it's a great place to have Debbie's story told.

Anon

 
At 4:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

MM, I doubt that the motive was robbery. When Theresa was found she still had her watch, her ring and her earrings.

Of course, anyone who could abduct, assault and kill, would also take money from the victim's wallet before he tossed it in the ditch.

Anon

 
At 6:45 PM, Blogger Bill Widman said...

Now that I'm done with the projects of NC Wanted and the vigil, I'm ready to take on this project.
Everything that I've read by or about Todd Matthews has impressed me so much! I'm really looking forward to working with this guy.
Thanks again.
The honor is mine.

 
At 8:44 PM, Blogger Todd Matthews said...

My ears were burning.

Thanks for the vote of confidence...I hope I can live up to the generous banter going on here!

By the Anon transcribes the bulk of our episodes. I have never seen anyone turn over a transcription so fast~! All on a volunteer basis.

Bill -- we will talk soon!

-Todd

 
At 10:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It all started with Theresa's show, Episode 28, on March 20, 2007 - http://missingpiecesshow.homestead.com/MissingPiecesEpisode28Archive.html

I transcribed that one, then discovered another Canadian unsolved cold case (Episode 5) that needed to be done; Kathryn Mary Herbert, from Abbotsford, BC was abducted and murdered in September 1975. Then I did another, and another...and I was hooked.

MM, is it possible to link Theresa's show on the blog links, or actually the Missing Pieces Website?

Anon

 
At 10:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whoops - the link doesn't appear complete in that last comment, but it actually works when you copy and paste.

Anon

 
At 1:02 AM, Blogger Bill Widman said...

I now have the link on my blogspot, thanks to Judith, my Web Goddess. It shows Anon's transcription of Missing Pieces episode 28, Theresa's story.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

|