DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> Who Killed Theresa?

Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Whatever it is, I'm against it


I wrote my final exam last night. And that's it. Finito, I'm done. The only thing left is the ol' cap and gown commencement on May 10th, and I'll be there. I missed the ceremony when I did my undergrad; (I was too busy planting trees on the Canadian Shield). This time I'm doing the whole dorky deal.



Three years of college for a Masters degree... what have I learned? I'll put it this way: Life isn't fair, justice is blind (and dysfunctional) and cops aren't all like geniuses on tv.

Ok... you say, I knew that. That's right.

Here's what I didn't know. Though the world might be messed up, do not run afoul of the criminal justice system. Because it is even more messed up. You don't want to cross the law, there are too many opportunities for you to lose. From law enforcement, to the court system to corrections; they will find more ways to mess you up than you can possibly imagine.

That's not my vote of non-confidence for their ineptitude. The scary part is the criminal justice system may actually be that way by design. You think I'm fooling? It is in the best interest of the criminal justice working group to mess up "frequent flyers" so that they may never again want to test the system. The old nut that has always been the problem is the lawyers; they are too powerful to allow change and improvements to occur. I suspect the reality is that none of the players want the system to change; least of all the policy makers because they know that a radical improvement would be too costly.

Your proposition may be good,
But let's have one thing understood,
Whatever it is, I'm against it.
And even when you've changed it or condensed it,
I'm against it.

7 Comments:

At 12:42 AM, Blogger Bill Widman said...

WTG John!
Looks like I get to be first to say "Congratulations!"
You know I couldn't pass up this opportunity.
So tell us where this "whole dorky deal" is taking place.
Some of us might want to be there for it.

 
At 1:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Alright... 3:30 pm, Saturday May 10th. Raleigh City Council Chambers, Suite 201. 222 W Hargett st. I'll be the one in the funny hat.

 
At 3:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are you sticking a maple leaf on it?

 
At 4:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

John,

I commend you for the effort and persistance which you have given towards obtaining your Masters. Under all the tension,pressure of police and govertment "BS", along with raising your daughters, you did it! Congradulations,you really are a true example of perservance.

Doreen D.

 
At 6:44 PM, Blogger Bill Widman said...

What Doreen D. said,
ditto for me.

We should remember that John had a whole lot more going on his life while going for his masters, plus continued being a Daddy the whole time.

That's a lot more than I want to do.

 
At 10:52 AM, Blogger Sharron Prior website said...

I believe that Theresa! was the "ONE" special person who..gave John the courgage and the strength to continueto go on.

To Theresa! Be proud when your brother stands up with his funny hat..lol

 
At 4:54 PM, Blogger Bill Widman said...

To Theresa! Hear hear!
Wherever she is now, I'm sure she must be very proud of her little brother.
To John! Cheers!
I expect you'll be trading in your funny hat for a battle helmet pretty soon.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

|