DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> Who Killed Theresa?

Saturday, April 26, 2008

Can YouTube help Theresa?

On March 1, 2008, Halton Police in Ontario, with the assistance of CrimeStoppers, posted a video on YouTube to re-ignite interest in the killing of Ray Venerus. It was CrimeStoppers first ‘re-enactment’ YouTube video. It produced 1,200 hits, and a number of added comments which the police hope will turn into leads.

I think this would be a marvelous way to get word out about Theresa’s case. We need tips. We need to be bold and creative. We need to exploit the latest technology to get the word out there.

However, it’s not enough to just post the video. We have to direct traffic to the video and we can do this by issuing a news release to the media (in Quebec, Ontario, and New England) every time we upload a video.

A variety of different video clips (30 seconds to 2 minutes in length) could be produced including:
- a re-enactment of various theories of the crime
- a direct appeal from John recounting the details of the crime
- a scenic “tour” of the significant places associated with Theresa’s case
- a brief interview with Kim Rossmo and the theory of a serial killer
- edited footage from TV news reports

Maybe these clips should become “episodes” to encourage return YouTube viewings. (YouTube viewers like “repeatable”, addictive videos with elements of suspense…) Each video would end with the URL of the Who Killed Theresa? blog.

I’m sure that with John’s theatre background and the assistance of local WKT? bloggers, we could create a series of professional and powerful video clips.

Here’s the link to the “Who killed Ray Venerus?” YouTube video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpPgIg2jolk

====

Maritime Missy

7 Comments:

At 12:55 PM, Blogger Bill Widman said...

I'm all for it, Missy!
I think it's a great idea to make a YouTube video on Theresa's case, and would encourage the team to go for it.

Being a fan of YouTube myself, (can you tell?) I have searched through there on names like John and Theresa Allore, and other names familiar to us, and have found nothing. Only the name Todd Matthews has turned up results, and I have posted a couple of those.

I have been asking among my friends for anyone we know who has access to video equipment to see if we can make one for Debbie. It doesn't look like we will be able to do this anytime soon.

I have found that adding YouTube videos to the blog is helpful in attracting visitors.

I promise to support your efforts any way I can, if only to post the video in my blog, should you succeed in producing one.

If it's a "can do," then I say say "do"!

 
At 1:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great idea, MM! Through my work on Missing Pieces, I have come across quite a few of these videos for missing people and unsolved crimes, but it never occured to me that one (or more) could be made for Theresa's case...go for it!

Anon

 
At 12:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I probably wouldn't have posted this idea if I didn't think there wouldn't be assistance from the WKT readers. It's people like you and Anon who can help generate awareness and YouTube traffic. Plus...with John not living in Quebec...he'll have to rely on a few 'local folks' for some video footage. I really think this YouTube video idea could turn into something important. And Bill...since you're a loyal YouTube fan...you've probably got a few tips you can share about what makes a YouTube video popular. From what I know, you could pay $150 for one of those small flip camcorders. They are automatically programmed for YouTube video. All you have to do is plug it into the USB port...and upload the video. If you don't want to buy one of those...then most digital cameras/cell phones have a 30-sec video function. The resolution isn't so great but at least YouTube viewers would see it as authentic..and it would be a start. ..the sooner the better. This is the 30th anniversary of Theresa's disappearance. The timing couldn't be more appropriate or relevant.

 
At 1:39 AM, Blogger Bill Widman said...

Now that, dear Missy, is something I admit I haven't thought of, until you said it.

Theresa's 30 year anniversary!
But of course!

I vote that we should definitely do something special this year.

I've got someone making high grade copies on our NC Wanted coverage on DVD. I'll ask the man I've already got working for me about YouTube ready camcorders.

As for what's popular, what I go for is what I can find that helps me say something I'm writing about.

My opinion on YouTube videos about missing persons and unsolved crimes is that Todd Matthews and the Doe Network give some pretty good examples.

Do you think we could get Inspector Clouseau to play Roch Gaudreault?

 
At 2:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

BILL...I vote we do something special this year too in honour of this case's 30th anniversary.

If you want to show your guy these "flip video" camcorders... give him this URL:

www.theflip.com

It's probably the easiest way to get videos uploaded in the correct format to YouTube.

If you have useful information from the Doe Network...please post it!

A YouTube video might be the most cost-effective, mass appeal way we can get the message out!

 
At 9:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awesome idea!!! YouTube is a great forum to bring attention to this case or any missing person's case. I myself am a daily visitor to YouTube to get information on almost any subject.It is my new form of getting the news.I can go on there anytime of the day to get local or global news 24/7.

 
At 12:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool Article.

Megacameras.com has all the printed digital photos, panasonic digital camcorders and samsung digital cameras you are looking for.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

|