DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> Who Killed Theresa?

Saturday, August 09, 2008

Or I may be two-tracking the problem


The rumors of my death have been greatly exaggerated.  First, to address certain goals...  

It was my intention to bring some public awareness to the fact that the Quebec police and a Quebec educational bureaucracy had not done their jobs, and to rightly shame them for their lack of professionalism, their ineptitude and indifference. This has been done repeatedly in the last 5 years, it will be done again, with credence and authority this Fall with the release of the book, Criminal Investigative Failures, edited by Kim Rossmo.

Second, regarding Champlain college: there was not much left to be done but to reconcile. I think the Theresa Allore Memorial Scholarship will go a long way to heal past differences, and I am looking forward to working with Champlain on this project this Fall, the 30th anniversary of Theresa's death. (much more on this in the coming months).

Third, The case now:  We started a petition asking for a cold case bureau, and for Theresa's file to be included in that bureau, and for that case to be actively pursued.  Three years later, that has been done. I can't speak for the active pursuit, but we got what we asked for. Not only does the Surete du Quebec have a cold case squad, the Montreal police do too. Welcome to the 21st century boys.

So what's left?  Solve the crime.  In case you missed it, this has not been my arena for some time now.  Let the police solve the crime, let Sue Sutherland assist them with the work she does on the ground in Sherbrooke.  This is not an area where I want to be involved anymore.  Happy to assist, not willing to lead.  I was willing to do so for about two years there (2002-2003), but I have not been driving leads on this case for some time now.

If someone has information, I am glad to direct that information to the proper people in the cold case unit. I can tell you they follow up on things. In the last year they have pursued information we have given them including old license plate numbers, prior criminals and crimes, etc...  When asked, they will do their job.  Believe me, if anyone has a suggestion for the SQ to do a better job (a suggestion that avoids sarcasm and unrealistic amounts of time devotion to one particular case), make that suggestion and I will bring it to the police's attention. 

Beyond this, I don't know what else I could possibly do other than getting myself more impossibly embroidered in a matter that has already become an unhealthy obsession. I'm not willing to do that.  Despite the blog title, Who Killed Theresa?, I was never that driven to a resolution of this matter. I was always seeking reform. Is the horizon bleak at times? Sure. Every time I read a headline like this or this.  And it bothers me greatly that a case like Sharron Prior's falls through the cracks and has no cold-case refuge.

But here are some positive take-aways from the last 5 years:

-  The SQ has implemented strategic planning and results-based management with a clear statement of it's mission, vision and goals. Now you can be as cynical as you want about this kind of stuff, but I can tell you an organization that does not use modern management practices is destined for corruption and entropy.  The Quebec police has a clearly stated purpose, they are no longer permitted to fly by the seat of their pants.

-   Quebec now has the largest victim advocacy group in Canada. AFPAD is a powerful lobbying group, and the people of Quebec are fortunate to have a man like Pierre Hugues Boisvenu at the helm. He will not allow Quebec bureaucracy to ignore and evade the rights of crime victims.

-   Canada now has a Federal crime victims ombudsman. Let me say that again, a FEDERAL Crime Victims Ombudsman.  That is no small piece of work. I can remember when victims advocacy in Canada was a mish-mosh of grassroots orgs (basically a few dedicated people fighting the good fight). Those before me can remember a time when Canada didn't even have any kind of Federal voice in victims affairs (before The Policy Centre for Victims Issues, a branch of Canada's Justice Bureau that becomes more impressive to me the more time I spend studying public policy). Your Ombudsman is Steve Sullivan, and he answers his emails; which is more than I can say for my initial contacts with the Federal government back in 2002.

This doesn't mean I am in retirement. The 30th anniversary of Theresa's death in one more chance to draw attention to this case, and I fully intend to take advantage of the opportunity to possibly solve Theresa's murder. But after November 3rd, if I pack it in, I hope you'll understand that I've given my best effort, and I am content with the many progresses I have witnessed.

2 Comments:

At 1:13 PM, Blogger Bill Widman said...

What I hear you saying, John, is that you've done all this.
No doubt, you've done a hell of a lot. I'm happy for you that you have a lot to show for what you've done. You've made visible progress.

If you don't know this already, some people are very upset with your "packing it in" post.
I'm still trying to grasp where you're coming from.

To put myself in your place, I admit, is not easy to do. Growing up knowing your sister's been murdered, but no one wants to say it happened, nope, sorry, I can't honestly say I know what that's like. I can only imagine.

But we've all seen how you've responded to it, and some of us are pretty damn proud of you. It took a lot of courage, a lot of guts, and just about everything you had to give. I'm sure we can all see that.

Is it okay for me to speak for the group? You can tell me to shut up.

I'll speak for myself. Last year I made the announcement that if no one showed up for the vigil, I was gonna quit the website. I can honestly say I know what it's like to be pissed off and frustrated for not seeing the support I was counting on.
Thankfully, it came to me.
(Thank you, Everyone!)

I see you getting a lot of support, John. I'm glad to see it. I think you deserve it. I hope you realize how valuable it is.

I tried to imagine you giving up, and you know what? I couldn't do it!

No, I just can't see John calling it quits, after all he's done already, and as far as he came. No, a quitter is one thing John is not.

So if you want to take a long break after the 30th anniversary. I will try to understand.
I can safely promise you that you will never lose my support.

 
At 1:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nor mine, John.

'Anon'

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

|