DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> Who Killed Theresa?

Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Dateline NBC

I'm afraid I was being slightly sarcastic yesterday. Don't get too excited about this. I have fielded many calls from these types of folks - they rarely pan out.

1. It's an intern (I hope to God not a summer intern); which means they are the bottom-feeder of the news organization. They've been sent to troll the blogsphere for anything interesting and they found Theresa.

2. Half the time these folks don't know what-the-hell they're even looking for, they're running in five places at once and have the attention span of a Golden Retriever.

But I say, turn a disadvantage into an advantage. I will tell them what they're looking for. My job is to spin a story so compelling that it just might make it to the boss' desk. Because they are a national, American news organization, there is one aspect of this story I am going to pitch to them (and it ain't Allore-Camirand-Dube). You're smart cookies, can you guess what angle I'm going to play up? Here's a hint... Anon touched on it again recently.

4 Comments:

At 10:33 AM, Blogger Bill Widman said...

John - Sometimes I never know if you're kidding or not.

Having had recently a learning experience myself with a news team, an example was made of how they pretend to be on your side to get your story, then they make it into their story.

In the end, I and my friends have agreed that the important thing is that the story is told.
They may not tell the story the way we would like, but at least they get it out there.

I say go for it, John.

By the way, some of my favorite dogs have been golden retrievers.

 
At 11:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Golden Retrieves: Big, Dumb, Hopelessly Loyal and Lovable.

JJA

 
At 6:52 PM, Blogger Doreen said...

John,

I agree with Bill......just go for it!

Doreen D.

 
At 4:16 PM, Blogger Raging Ranter said...

Theresa's death was so long ago. Any type of media attention you can get at this point is worth it.

I just finished reading John Walsh's book Tears of Rage not too long ago. He went into great detail about his love-hate relationship with the media. On the one hand, he despised many of the reporters, and especially their bosses, who seemed only interested in exploiting the story for their own selfish ends. On the other, he realized early on that they were a vital tool in his desperate search for his son. In fact they were the only tool he had at his disposal that didn't cost a fortune.

Make the best use of every bit of media attention that comes along.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

|